The Media Education Foundation (MEF), a nonprofit organization that produces and distributes documentary films about the social, political, and cultural impact of American mass media, is seeking a talented, full-time Financial Administrator. We are looking for an organized, detail-oriented, computer-savvy finance whiz, who works well independently as well as with a team. If finance is your thing and you would like to work for a progressive nonprofit organization, check out the job responsibilities and desired skills for our Financial Administrator position.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Full responsibility for all accounting functions including A/P, A/R, budgeting, monthly bank reconciliations, quarterly financial statements and financial reporting. The financial administrator:
- Keeps records of invoices and tax payments.
- Identifies and addresses account discrepancies.
- Monitors overdue payments and sends account statements.
- Reconciles bank, credit card, and investment accounts on a monthly basis.
- Maintains financial accounting systems for cash management, accounts payable, accounts receivable, credit control, and petty cash.
- Develops new systems and practices when needed.
- Is responsible for all bookkeeping functions.
- Oversees all payroll functions to ensure that employees are paid in a timely and accurate manner.
- Administers insurance, disability, wellness, and other benefits.
- Develops and maintains timely and accurate financial statements and reports for executive staff and outside audit agencies in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP).
- Ensures that bills are entered and paid on a timely basis.
- Calculates and processes royalty payments on a quarterly basis.
- Enters sales invoices as needed.
- Performs all other accounting functions as needed.
- Document and maintain complete and accurate supporting information for all financial transactions.
- Develop and implement month-end close process with monthly variance reporting.
- Manage cash flow and prepare cash flow forecasts.
- Develop, implement, and ensure compliance with internal financial and accounting policies and procedures.
- Ensure that all statutory requirements of the organization are met including: charitable status; withholding payments; income tax; and local/state taxes.
- Lead the annual audit process and coordinate with external auditors to prepare annual 990 charitable tax return in a timely manner.
- Develop and implement policies and procedures to ensure that personnel and financial information is stored securely and according to best practices.
- Ensure that assets are properly recorded, amortized, and disposed of appropriately.
- Maintain professional relationships with vendors, and financial service providers, auditor, and bankers.
- Maintain vendor records and assist with maintaining customer/client/donor records.
- Produce and distribute 1099s and ensure compliance with tax requirements.
- Perform other duties as required.
Candidates must have the following experience or capabilities:
- Demonstrated experience in financial management and accounting.
- Strategic planning experience with the ability to define, set, and execute short-term and long-term objectives.
- Experience with audit, legal compliance, and budget development.
- Success seeing beyond the numbers, analyzing trends, and identifying new possibilities.
- Ability to multitask, while maintaining an attention to detail.
- Bachelor’s degree (MA/MBA preferred) in Business, Management, or Finance, or equivalent experience.
- Familiarity with accounting for small businesses.
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills. Work well with, and demonstrate respect for, colleagues at all levels and consistently contribute to a positive work environment.
- Mastery of Quickbooks and Microsoft Excel.
- Excellent computer skills and confidence in learning new applications.
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to prioritize tasks efficiently in a fast-paced environment.
- Open to new ideas and influences and quick to react to changing requirements.
- Ability to translate financial concepts and effectively collaborate with colleagues who do not have finance backgrounds.
- Must be able to handle multiple projects simultaneously and organize, prioritize, manage, and implement assignments.
- Familiarity with and support of MEF’s general mission is essential.
MEF provides a competitive benefits package that includes paid vacation, medical, dental, wellness, and professional development benefits.
Minimum Education Required
4-year degree or equivalent experience.
How To Apply
Please e-mail a resume, cover letter, and three professional references to email@example.com by March 23, 2018.
Details: Competitive salary commensurate with experience
60 Masonic Street